Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The difference between me and modern hunters

I am a opportunistic Predator.  It is fairly simple as to why I come to this conclusion.
  1. I keep guns with me at all times
  2. I eat what I kill and what other hunters kill.
  3. If I see it and it is in season I kill it, skin it, grill it. Even if I wasn't hunting it at the time.
  4. I have received a call and dropped what I was doing to drive down the street and shoot a Ground Hog. ( I had it cleaned quartered and vacuum sealed in less than an hour) See Ground Hog recipe here.
  5. I never have the time or money to go on far away hunting trips.
  6. I somehow fill my freezer every year just by taking advantage of every opportunity.
I am not ashamed that I am not a "sportsman" but a hunter. I shoot does instead of waiting on rack bucks. I kill, skin, quarter, and grind to eat, no letting a processor do my dirty work for me. I enjoy this ritual because it connects me to my ancestors , the land, the animals, and my innate need to be self sufficient. I am not competing against other men to see who the best hunter is, I am making a living off the land. Your pal the Envirocapitalist.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent post. I too subscribe to the "eat what you kill" philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally I'd love a rack to go above the bed head, but after that it's all about the dinners

    One day we'll go hunting together, and have a cook-off
    SBW

    ReplyDelete