Monday, May 04, 2009

Hunting is for food. Not just meat.

I have never understood trophy hunting personally. The only thing I have shot and not eaten was a Bobcat. I wanted to mount it, and it sits on my T.V. today. I like it but not $250 worth. So since then I have consumed everything I have hunted for and this feels fulfilling to me. I get a strange sense of accomplishment by being able to feed my family without any one's help. I even get a thrill when hunting Morel's and finding a patch. or spotting some blackberry briers while berry hunting. I find my thrill comes from extracting food from nature. Most people would starve to death with out a grocery store. I think all people should learn how to garden, slaughter, and forage. I think people would appreciate food much more if they were responsible for getting it just once. Don't get me wrong I love trophy hunters, they spend tons of money on outdoor products and licenses. I don't care why people value wildlife as long as they value it.
I am not going turkey hunting this weekend but I am going on what I call a pre-hike. Before I take my cub scout den to hike House Mountain I will hike it to mark any interesting flora or geology along the way so I can be prepared to share with the den. I will be just as excited to find a common morel as I would have to get a shot at a turkey.....yeah I am weird like that. Next time you see a cuddly animal think of me and remember cuddly = tasty.

6 comments:

  1. I think we share the same thinking. I to never understood trophy hunting and I to take accomplishment that I can provide food for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on board with you. I'll watch a hunting show now and then or read a trophy hunting mag and sometimes it just disgusts me. What are these people after? I'll release a fish now and then, but most of them get eaten. I NEED this interaction - sometimes it's hard to explain. Usually I can only say - "I'm a meat hunter (or fisher)." And I mean it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean Wandering Owl about not being able to expain it. I think it is an instinct like a beagle chasing a rabbit. Trophy hunters don't disgust me I just don't get it. I have friends that are trophy hunters and the give me their kills alot which I put in the freezer. I don't get not wanting all that beautiful meat but it just means more for me. I only killed one deer myself last year, but thanks to my buck shooting friends I put 7 in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing weird about it at all, brother. My wife doesn't understand why I can go fly fishing all day, release everything I catch, and come home happy. What's not to like about spending the day in a high country canyon where mule deer and bears come to the river, the water is cleaner than glass, and the smell of the woods fills my senses? I don't even care half the time whether I catch anything or not!

    But I definitely like to eat what I hunt. Which is why I find rabbit hunting as fun and fulfilling as mule deer hunting. We own a cabin in the Sierras, and I often think about what we would do if the "big one" hits -- that's Californian for the killer earthquake we're all waiting for. But I know the answer. We would head for the cabin and we would eat what we could catch, kill, gather or grow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree.

    I think people are way out of touch when it comes to where food comes from. It doesn't come neatly wrapped in a cellophane wrapper; it has to be acquired before that can happen.

    I honestly believe if people - at least once - experienced getting food for themselves that this world would be a better place.

    Amen to this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really loving the theme/design of your site.
    Do you ever run into any browser compatibility issues?

    A couple of my blog audience have complained about my site not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Chrome.
    Do you have any ideas to help fix this issue?

    ReplyDelete